A friend and I were discussing religion yesterday. He's a devout evangelical Christian, and I'm a militant secular humanist. Despite this slight difference of opinion, we're very close and genuinely like one another. On my end, I think part of it is the fact that I consider him a true follower of Christ's teachings. He uses St. Francis of Assisi as a role model: “Preach the Gospel at all times, and when necessary use words.” He lives his beliefs -- he doesn't use them as either a yardstick to judge everyone else, or a club with which to beat people over the head.
I offered my opinion that most everything that Jesus taught can be distilled down to one simple, if not a bit vulgar, statement: "Life is hard, we're all in this together, don't be a dick."
I think the world might be a better place if people stopped wearing clothing and jewelry with "WWJD" plastered on it, and replaced it with "DBAD".
● Let a car into traffic. She's been sitting there for a while and she probably has to be somewhere soon, just like you do.
● Smile at someone. They're probably having a shitty day and could use some positive energy. If they're not having a shitty day, it won't hurt to keep their good mood going.
● Thank the barista, the cashier, the bag boy, the lunch lady, the crossing guard, the guy that empties your office trash, and the telephone operator. I don't care if it's their job to serve you. We all serve someone.
● Find someone (or more than one) on your LJ Friends List that you haven't commented to in a while. Post a comment letting them know that you're glad they're on your List.
● Make it a point to compliment someone today. On anything. Everyone has something worthy of praise and admiration.
● Tell *everyone* you love exactly that. Life is short, shit happens, and the people who are important to us need to know they've had a positive effect on someone else's life. It's entirely possible that our own lives are measured solely on how we affected others.
Here's today's project: if you're in agreement, and are so inclined, post "DBAD" in your LJ today, with a link back to this entry.